<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Remember D-Day June 6 1944, Normandy June 2004 

D-Day June 6 1944 -> June 6 2004

This year Gilda and me decided to celebrate the 60th anniversary of D-Day. We tried to book a hotel, but they had all been booked for more then a year. Even bed and breakfast and camping’s were all booked full. So we decided to just take our chance and just drive over to Normandy and see what we could find. If noting, we would just sleep in our car. Gilda had gone ahead and was staying with her grandmother in Châtel Censoir; a small town not far form Auxerre. I drove down from Amsterdam on the 29th of May to pick up Gilda. On my way down I got a small preview of what was waiting! Jus before I crossed the border to Belgium. I overtook a colon of old military cars, most Willy Jeeps, but also a Dodge and GMC truck. There must have been 15 cars all together, and most guys were wearing 1944 military uniforms.
When I was driving trough France I run into even more colons of military cars and I even saw a beautiful flight of old planes. A few Spitfires, some Dakota C 47 and a few bombers.It took me much longer then usual to get to Châtel, as I just had to slow down and watch all these magnificent machines.

But I managed to get there and told Gilda all about it and we could not wait to get to Normandy.

On our way there we had a stop at Montataire to do some research on Gilda's ancestors.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?