<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The San Antonio Mission Trail 

The San Antonio Mission Trail
Besides The Alamo there are many other Mission Posts in Texas. They were founded by the Spanish when they were conquesting the New World. They mostly were founded to convert the Indians to Catholic Church and make then Spanish and thus establish the catholic Spanish empire in Las Tejas and the rest of the America’s.
Around San Antonio there are still remains of 4 Missions beside The Alamo.
There is a Trail about 9 miles and I walked most of it today.
The Mission Espada was too far so I started at Mission San Juan. (See the picture with the Mission Trail to see where I started at San Juan and where I stopped at Conception following the yellow line) To get at San Juan I took a bus from San Antonio Down town. It took me just 10 minutes walk from the bus stop near the mission to get at the Mission San Juan. Most of the San Juan Mission is destroyed, but the Chappell is still intact.
To read more about it click here
From there I walked to on the banks of the San Juan River towards the Espada Dam. To read more about this dam click here
From there on I walked to Mission San José. There you’ll also find the visitors center where you can find out all about the missions. This Mission was founded in 1720. This Mission is viewed as a model of mission organization. Click here to read more about Mission San José From there I went on to Mission Concepción. This mission is named in honor of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. It dates from about 1730 and the church looks much as it did then.
To find out more about this mission click here.

Here ended my walk and I hopped on a bus to San Antonio. I went to the Amtrak station to see about my ticket. However this trip was a waste of time as the station was closed and did not open until 09:30 PM…….
So I went back to Down Town San Antonio, to have a diner. This time I went to Rita’s on the River to have a vegetarian wrap. Bad choice!!!! This was the worst Wrap I have ever eaten, I left have of it and was glad there were French Fries; otherwise I had died of starvation….
Thus ends my last day in San Antonio.
Pictures for the magzazine 'Traveler' form september-December 2007










Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?