<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Remember The Alamo. March 6, 1836 



Remember The Alamo. March 6, 1836

To my father, captain Eugene Bodenstaff.

I’m sure there is much to write about San Antonio when one visits it, but the very first visit I made was The Alamo. It seems that I have known about this building and the battle all of my life, specially as my daddy once gave me a book with all kind of stories about the west, including Roy Rogers and of course the story about Davy Crocket and the battle of The Alamo. I must have been not much older than 6 when I got this book and I read it over and over again. I have lost this book many years ago, but even now, as I write about it, I can even smell the odor this book had.
So, all of a sudden, I found myself in front of The Building I have known almost all of my life, but until today I never saw.
It was smaller than I had imagined, but it had a strong feeling about it. As I stood in front of this so small but so important building, I suddenly felt the strong presence of my father, it was if he was there, looking at The Alamo with his arm over my shoulder.
Together we have seen the movie of The Alamo over and over again, and it in our fantasy that we had been there with all the brave defenders of The Alamo. I closed my eyes and I could 'see' the battle. I became overwhelmed by emotions and as I opened my eyes I noticed that the tears rolled over my cheeks.
I had not realized how important this trip would be to me and how it affected my state of mind. I feel like I have come to a place where I met a part of myself that had been hidden for many, many years.
When I walked towards the mission post it was if I knew my way around. I went to see the bronze plaques with the names of all the heroes of The Alamo and found myself 'face to face' with these brave men. I also at last saw the plaque of Marcus L. Sewell, to whom I might be distantly related through my mother’s family, Sewell.
So I feel I have made one of the most important journeys in my life and not just to a place, but towards a better understanding of myself.

I'm sure that I will always remember The Alamo.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?