<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 29, 2007

Rita and Dick 



Dick and Rita


Short before I went to Texas, I got an e-mail on my www.schoolbankl.nl. This is a Dutch site where you can meet old school mates. This mail came from ‘the boy’ that used to be my former ‘across the road neighbor’ in Zeist. He explained that he lives in Texas and so there was no way I would be in Texas without meeting him and his wife Rita.
Dick’s kid sister Loesje and I also have been friends for many years. So the families knew each other.
So on 31st October 2007 I found myself sitting next to Dick, whom I had not seen for 45 years! So we talked and reminisced about the past, remembered names and places.
I had been wondering why Dick went to America so I just asked him, and the he told me this story.
This is the short version.
‘When I was about 15 my parent wanted me to take dancing classes, but I didn't want to go alone, so I asked my friend to come with me. But his parents were very strict and they did not let him go. Therefore I had to go alone. When I went to the dance school I could choose between lessons on Thursday or Friday. So I decided it would be Friday. The school had a rule that when you were dancing and the music stopped, you had to change partner. And when it stopped when it was time for a pause, the boy had to buy a drink for the girl. So then I was to buy Rita a drink……’
So the kept meeting each other, until …… Rita’s parents migrated to California and Dick had to serve the army for two years. Dick had promised Rita that he would meet her after he had done his tour of duty, and so he did. Two years later Dick went to California and later Rita and he got marries and now 45 years later they still are and have two wonderful and beautiful daughters.
Both of his daughters were so kind to drive all the way over just to meet me. Both of Dicks and Rita’s daughters are very nice you woman and I’m sure Dick and Rita are very proud of them.

We had so many to talk about but I would stay another day so we finally went to bed when it was quite late.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?